Barrie restaurant manager faces new charges as more girls come forward

Subway canceled a franchise agreement with the restaurant owner following the charges

Content of the article

A Subway restaurant manager in Barrie now faces 12 additional charges – in addition to the four he originally faced for an alleged sexual assault in the back room of a 17-year-old employee on June 13.

Advertising

Content of the article

The new charges were filed on Thursday and relate to alleged offenses spanning a nine-year period from February 2012 to June 2021.

In total, Stephen Lemmond, 47, faces six counts of sexual assault, five counts of sexual exploitation, two counts of assault, two counts of incitement to touch a younger person for and one count of sexual contact with a person under 16 years of age. .

The teenager, whose urgent phone call to her mother minutes after she was allegedly sexually assaulted led to the initial charges, is still shaken.

“I’m grateful we were able to help the girls talk about this issue and I think more charges are helping to send her to jail and that will keep everyone safe,” she wrote in a post. text to the Sun. “I’m not surprised more girls have come forward.”

Advertising

Content of the article

“I’m not doing very well, it has invaded my life. I can’t sleep at night and I have to take medicine. It’s hard for me to leave the house and I’m always afraid that he will come after me,” she wrote.

Legally, the teenager cannot be identified.

Her mother is also struggling with the emotional and legal upheaval.

“I was 100% convinced that there were more people showing up,” she said. “But at the same time I was surprised because I couldn’t believe how many other charges had been laid.”

Shocked citizens gathered for weeks at the two restaurants which the accused managed and his family owned.

These rallies were organized by the victim’s aunt who says they will continue despite Subway revoking the franchise agreement last week.

Advertising

Content of the article

“I’m not surprised,” said the aunt. “We knew there were more girls who had come forward.”

“Knowing that he has been released on bail again is what draws us in this time.”

Stephen Lemmond, 47, manager of a Subway restaurant in Barrie, faces 16 charges of alleged sexual assault.
Stephen Lemmond, 47, manager of a Subway restaurant in Barrie, faces 16 charges of alleged sexual assault. Submitted

Another rally is planned for July 23 as part of her JusticeForTheGirls2021 awareness campaign, which she says has prompted other girls to contact the family and then the police.

“My family has been very supportive but I know it will be a long process,” the 17-year-old wrote. “But I am convinced that I will be a survivor and not a victim.”

None of the allegations made against the accused by the police or others have been proven in court.

Lemmond is due in court on August 9.

[email protected]

Advertising

comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively yet civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to be moderated before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread you follow, or if a user follows you comments. Visit our Community Rules for more information and details on how to adjust your E-mail settings.

Back To Top